It's been overstated that the purpose of our lives is to "worship God". Being a worship leader I believe that my job is to create the best opportunity for people to enter into worship. I think most of our life can be reduced to creating or taking opportunities...

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Who's got the golden ticket?

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory was a favorite movie of mine when I was younger. In fact, when I would go to my grandmother's house with my brothers, that was one of the only movies she had for us to watch.

The characters of the movie find "golden tickets" in their Wonka bars, which affords them a trip through the Wonka Chocolate factory. Through the movie, Willy Wonka gets frustrated with some of the characters. I'm thinking to myself, if you wanted them to behave differently, you would think that you would change the way you responded to them, or just made clearer expectations at the front of the tour...

I read an article from Matt Redman recently which stated some truths he learned as a young worship leader. He mentioned that when he was young, leading worship in the youth group, he remembered singing the song, "Isn't He Beautiful." He enjoyed the song, but was approached following a youth service by a fellow youth leader who made the challenge that it may be a little much to ask a physically and emotionally budding teenage boy to say that God is "beautiful." The point of his article was to consider the audience that we're presenting the opportunity to worship, and plan the service with them in mind.

Would certain songs be a better fit in an older crowd? Younger Crowd? Howabout other cultural differences? How would the decisions of our music selection change? Or would it change at all?

Simply said, Wonka could have made the tour more enjoyable for everyone had he been more clear and concise with his directions. We, as worship leaders, ought to be clear and concise with the opportunity we bring before people to enter into worship, but to do that effectively, we must consider our audience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, you've got the golden ticket. I was thinking about you early this Sunday morning. I was going to call you to remind you that as you lead worship today, that you have an 'Audience of One'. We sing to praise Him, for no other reason. If me or anyone else sets up a roadblock on our hearts to not praise because it's not our style, song, pitch, tempo (aren't you proud that I know all of these musical terms?) then it's MY heart problem, not the worship leader. God doesn't care about the song, He wants me to make melody IN MY HEART to Him. I love ya, sweetie. If I had a vest on, all the buttons would be popped...

Y'Momma

Anonymous said...

P. S. You spelled restaurants wrong in your profile :)