It's been overstated that the purpose of our lives is to "worship God". Being a worship leader I believe that my job is to create the best opportunity for people to enter into worship. I think most of our life can be reduced to creating or taking opportunities...

Friday, March 31, 2006

So Fresh!


When I was a kid I was in love with the show, "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire".

I thought the jokes were funny, my parents appreciated the cleanliness of the content, and I just liked it.

I recently got laughed at because I said something was "fresh"! It was as though I told them that something was groovy! (I remember a letter from my dad to my mom that said she was "groovy"(sorry dad). Every generation, and every individual has some word to replace my "fresh" and my dad's "groovy". Even though the word is different, the point is the same. It's not in the word, it's in the object of the word. Whatever I'm describing fits well, is new, is "happenin' ", it's FRESH.

Keeping worship FRESH does the same thing. When the opportunity for worship you present has something new and fresh in it, you're allowing whoever you're leading a new way to see God. A new way to respond. You're taking the "rad" and making it "tight." You're taking the "groovy" and making it "slammin." I was joking tonight with some guys about the Jamba Juice chain. I suggested that we should use "Jamba" as a new word like "cool". "Man that was Jamba." I know it sounds dumb, and I was making fun of the fact that these words do change quite a bit, but I think it's an important principle. After awhile, just like "cool", our words start to lose their meaning. It's not that the attitude of our hearts has changed, just the ability to describe our hearts to God. Our words get stale and we need something "Fresh".

So let's use slammin' new ways to convey the groovy passions we have in our sweet hearts to our radically cool God.

Tight.

4 comments:

Mr. Ed said...

How about these substitutes for Fresh and Groovy...

Sweet! Tiiiiight! (sound familiar?) Far out! Right on!
Diggin! Hot Diggity! Rad!
Hip! Gnarly! TOOOObular!
Wick-ed! You Fly! Dope!
Boss! Swell!

And Paris' contribution to the colloquial sphere:
That's Hot!

gmledbetter said...

Those already exist, eddie. We need something fresh. Jamba is creative but I think we need a 1-syllable replacement. I came up with the word "fonch" last year, but its uses are a little different than "tight" or "fresh". Plus I didn't give it a proper definition.

Anyways, Mike, that post had some massive fonch. You've really helped me to remember the true meaning of worship. I've understood it clearly for a couple years now, but some of the clutter of life gets in the way now and then, and its hard to remember some of the simpler things. I think we can sometimes make the whole worship idea too complex for ourselves, although most of us understand it better now than when we first learned about it. If we can just remember that its not about us, and we were created for worshipping God, all the other details just fit in better.

End Communique

Mike Ganiere said...

Gabe, I'm really curious about your use of the word, "fonch." A word is really defined by its uses. How else would you use it? It has a certain unique ring to it, although abrasive, maybe somewhat harsh. Fonch is a good thing?

Mike Ganiere said...

Jeremiah, Weren't we just talking about "singing a new song" 2 weeks ago? Seems like it! Good comment!