It's been overstated that the purpose of our lives is to "worship God". Being a worship leader I believe that my job is to create the best opportunity for people to enter into worship. I think most of our life can be reduced to creating or taking opportunities...

Monday, March 13, 2006

We Don't Get It!

A friend told me recently about his new job. He said, "I enjoy the work, but I hate working with 'stupid' people!" I think we've all been there--You know, the place where we "get it" and someone else doesn't. It's good to be "in the know," but it also requires some responsibility.

There have been many times when I didn't want to know something. Maybe it was some information which required some action. Sometimes it's knowledge about the "wise" way to handle a situation, even though it's more "pleasing" to handle it another way.

Last night I heard a young speaker named Matt Brown speak. With his message so fresh in my mind I remember much of it, but one thing stuck out to me. It was as though God, through the Holy Spirit, made special application of Matt's message to me. Let me explain the "light bulb" moment I had, by expanding on his original statement.

Philippians 2:10,11 says that, "in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things on earth, and things under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." We've heard this before, that one day(presumably in heaven) that every knee will bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Matt said something though that brought new life into that statement for me. He that he believes that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord BECAUSE in that moment we will see Jesus! Could it be that the Glory of God will be what draws every human and all of creation to its knees? What a thought!

1 Corinthians 13:12 says, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I read a commentary about this verse that says that in Paul's day, the "dark glass" was really a mirror, which was a shined piece of metal. It never really gave you a clear picture.

I think this way about worship. I'm thankful for the ways which God has revealed Himself. BUT we only see through this glass darkly. In our tiny, miniscule, blip on the radar understanding of God, we worship fully, but only to the extent of our understanding. My worship is my response to God, and every day He reveals Himself more deeply as I dedicate myself to knowing Him.

There is coming(SOON!) a day when I will see Jesus FACE TO FACE! What a revelation! God told Moses that he wouldn't even be able to handle a glimpse of the Face of God. But I'm going to see Him FACE TO FACE! What will I do? I think I'll be impressed with myself if I'm able to stay at my knees and confess that Jesus is Lord. I think I might fall facedown and speechless!

1 Corinthians does say "Every knee." That means the unbeliever will also bow. Listen to this, from Matthew 24:30, "Then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

A day of rejoicing for the found, a day of sorrow for the lost. BOTH will bow in reverence and confess Lordship at the FULL revelation of God.

Awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike your awesome.