It's been overstated that the purpose of our lives is to "worship God". Being a worship leader I believe that my job is to create the best opportunity for people to enter into worship. I think most of our life can be reduced to creating or taking opportunities...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Beauty of All That Sings

Casting Crowns recently("recently" being over a year ago) came out with a new Album titled "Lifesong." One thing I really appreciate about that album is that they thread the word "lifesong" through every track. At first I thought it was a really dumb way to make the name of the title track a "buzzword", but then I started to appreciate the message.

I've really been into writing songs these last 2 years. I've really come to enjoy the process; I really enjoy helping others in their process of writing. It's so interesting to listen to someone else's music, or plain old writing for that matter. Sometimes what you hear are the cries of the heart, the hurts of the past, the joy of life, and the praise of God. There's not too much that hasn't been written about, or sung about. The human mind has created and created and created for centuries.

The great thing about Casting Crown's "lifesong" is that it describes the reality of each person's song. We all have one. Sometimes it's majestic, sometimes it's quiet. Sometimes it's violent, and sometimes it's soothing. When Mark Hall(of Casting Crowns) sings, "let my lifesong sing to You...", he doesn't mean 'let me be singing all the time because that will Glorify You." That might be annoying! Instead it's "let everything that I do be as pleasing to you, like I'm living out a well-crafted song."

I heard someone say that Christians don't speak lies--We sing them. It's an easy thing to sing a song to God. Anyone can do it. And it's funny, well, not-so-funny, I guess, that people who refuse to sing to God with their lips do so in their hearts just like you and I do. It's a good thing that God doesn't tattoo an "explicit lyrics" warning on our foreheads when we screw up! Hopefully, the songs that we're all writing to God with our actions and obedience and surrender are songs that are a sweet sound in His ear. The "record" button of our worship to God is always on. And He's always listening.

The next time you find yourself in the valley, make sure that your song(actions) sing a line of beauty to God, dependence on Him, and quick obedience to His ways.

No comments: