It's been overstated that the purpose of our lives is to "worship God". Being a worship leader I believe that my job is to create the best opportunity for people to enter into worship. I think most of our life can be reduced to creating or taking opportunities...

Thursday, March 09, 2006

How Far Do You Swing?

When I was young I remember heading off to the park with my two brothers(I'm in the middle, you know). We enjoyed the park because once in a while there was a cute girl there, but most of the time we enjoyed the park because we liked to play on the playground equipment. My favorite Jungle Gym piece was the swings. I could say my favorite "is" the swings because I still really enjoy them. I just don't get to do it as much... anyways... I remember having competitions with my brothers on the swing sets. There was only one factor for who would win the competitions: whoever could swing the highest won. I don't recall if I was a regular winner, or if I just whined about losing. Nevertheless, I remember the competition.

Several years ago I led worship for a College-age Christian fellowship service where a missionary was invited to speak. I finished the worship set like I always did, she talked about whatever she talked about, and we all had a great night. If I'm sounding vague with the details, it's because I wasn't impacted much by the normal programming of the night. I don't remember so much as her name, but I'll never forget her exhortation. After the service was completed she told me that worship was nice, but I didn't mention the name of Jesus one time in any of the songs, nor did I say His name in prayer. She simply reminded, "If [worship] doesn't point to Jesus, what's the point?"

Today I passed a school while driving and noticed some kids on the playground dodging raindrops as they expelled their energy between classes. I saw two kids on swings. I was quickly reminded: Sometimes we get caught up in a lot of different things regarding the worship set. We consider style, theme, quality of musicianship, and dynamics. We're always trying to get "better." These are noble aspirations. However, I hope we never forget what our focus ought to be: "Jesus Christ and Him crucified"--I Corinthians 2:2. Just like the kids competing for the heights on the swings, their motion always comes back to the point of their pivot.

Jesus, Be the Center.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Great thought, Mike. Indeed, Jesus be MY center!!

Love ya, Dad

Anonymous said...

Your "Center" should be God, and his Son "Jesus" should always be on your right and your left

Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy, great site, Keep up the good work....

Peace

Gary O

Mike Ganiere said...

For the sake of discussion... How do we differently worship the Godhead? "anonymous" suggests that "God" ought to be the center. Does "God" mean the "Godhead" or "God, the Father?" Is there another aspect we're missing?

Sidenote: Although not necessary, attatching your name to a comment is suggested. Not to single anyone out regarding their post, rather to differentiate between "anonymous" posts. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mike, To me Godhead is the collective of the Trinity. One thought occurred to me that each Person of the Trinity differs in not only personality but in function, if you will, and deserves recognition, worship accordingly.
Just a thought,Uncle Rick

Mike Ganiere said...

Paul's message to the church at Corinth was "Christ and Him crucified," as previously stated. I love "uncle Rick's" comment about worshipping God in a balance of all 3 of His personalities. However, speaking of a corporate worship setting, should we lead worship that draws balance to the three personalities of God, leave the worship to just be about "God"(when I say 'Just' about God, I don't mean to demean a more general worship of the attributes of the Trinity, just to bring a separate focus on the Trinity), or is it okay to focus on a single personality of God(as in the Holy Spirit).

Could any of these options be different if we know that there are unbelievers in our worship service?