It's been overstated that the purpose of our lives is to "worship God". Being a worship leader I believe that my job is to create the best opportunity for people to enter into worship. I think most of our life can be reduced to creating or taking opportunities...

Monday, November 16, 2009

Pace

My daughter is 2-years-old. While she’s in the 95th percentile for her height and weight, she is still very short compared to the average human. It’s no wonder that she walks slower than me.

Like any other busy man in a hurry, I’ve been known just to pick her up because she can’t keep up to me! And, while I know that (most times) she doesn’t mind being carried, I’ve realized that some of my most favorite times are when I just slow down and take on her pace for a time.

I’m not sure that she’s conscious of my adjusted pace, or of my preference to walk much faster… but I sure notice.

How eye-opening it is to slow down and take things from her perspective: the road we’re crossing is that much larger, the steps we have to take are that many more, and the draft of passing pedestrians is that much more effective to her balance.

And, while I’m just imagining here, maybe her greatest challenge is feeling like she doesn’t belong… consider the size of doorways, seats in cars, etc.; not to mention, the number of “adults” that expect that she understands things communicated the same way they understand them.

Maybe I’m wrong… maybe she doesn’t even consider it. Though, I am pretty sure that this “pace principle” applies to a lot of our relationships. I’ll bet that some of our biggest frustrations would be calmed if we only took the time to slow our pace to match the pace of the ones we’re walking with.

Perhaps seeing things from their perspective would not only make a significant impact in how they see the world, but also teach us the importance of seeing them the way Jesus would have… I don’t recall Him ever being too busy…

No comments: