It's been overstated that the purpose of our lives is to "worship God". Being a worship leader I believe that my job is to create the best opportunity for people to enter into worship. I think most of our life can be reduced to creating or taking opportunities...

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Watch Your Step!

A motorist was unknowingly caught in an automated speed trap that measured his speed using radar and photographed his car. He later received in the mail a ticket for $40, and a photo of his car.
Instead of payment, he sent the police department a photograph of $40.
Several days later, he received a letter from the police department that contained another picture - of handcuffs.

Have you ever stuck your foot in your mouth? Recently, I made a comment to a guy who was gone from work for a day. He had called in sick, but I had heard my boss say that he wasn't really sick, he was just using a sick day's pay. When he returned to work the next day I decided I'd play around with him for a little bit. I asked him how sleeping in was, playing with the dog, and having a nice lunch with his wife. Then I called him lazy, because all the rest of us had to split up his work while he was out playing around that day(did I mention that it was almost 80 degrees and sunny?). I no sooner finished my jest, when he, with one sentence, humbled me. He mentioned that he was on his way to work in the morning when his wife called and told him that her mother was being rushed to the hospital for a heart-attack. He turned the car around to take care of her morning routine(getting the kids off to school, etc.) and then join her at the hospital. In fact, he only got 4 hours of sleep because they were at the hospital so late. Haha.

Micah 6:8 says that, "the LORD has already told you what is good, and this is what he requires: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Proverbs 14:16 reminds, "The wise are cautious and avoid danger; fools plunge ahead with great confidence."

Walk carefully in the presence of God. He(God) told Moses that he(Moses) couldn't even look at God's face. It's so glorious. I think God's exhortation to Moses is a great lesson for us today. We ought to be cautious in the presence of God--Carefully considering our surroundings, carefully making moves, carefully thinking. I've been a fool that "plunged ahead with great confidence" before, and I've had to dust myself off from the fall several times too! But, the wise go forward carefully, not taking advantage of God's presence, but fearing His power and glory.

We don't need kneepads to brace for the fall. We just need to fear God, and consider His presence with care.

4 comments:

Jon Brooks said...

Great new content Mike! You are a man of your word. A timely reminder about the power of our words.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Pastor Aaron's been doing a series recently about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. He said something that I wrote in BOLD on my bulletin. "If SOME of my words count, then ALL of my words count." He's been exhorting us to talk less, with more power and meaning. Not just chatter...

Mike Ganiere said...

Good thing I'm not known to be a chatterbox!!!?

Anonymous said...

Oh, but you are, my son :)